SOUTH SIDE HISTORY
During the mid 1950’s, a group of local landowners with foresight decided to buy property to act as a private hunting area. The initial meetings of the group took place at Torino’s Inn which was located on a stretch of Rt. 28A that skirted the south side of Ashokan Reservoir. The first elected president was Frank Raffaldi.
After securing funding and with a growing membership, the group purchased 70 acres which included a small cabin (the first club house). The parcel was located on Baker Road in West Hurley. The organization was officially incorporated in 1959 as the South Side Rod and Gun Club. Membership increased and with additional monies, a range (25, 35, 45, and 100 yards) was developed and a new larger clubhouse was built.
A pavilion, which covered about 2/3 of the range shooting area, was added in 1988. Enlargement of the protective bermes, improved targets, and an archery range followed. Removal of additional trees provided enough space to add an elevated trap house in 1997. A 3D archery course was completed in 2005 to provide more opportunities for club members as well as a new source of funds through competitive shoots.
Currently, South Side has a membership of 120 which includes regular (limited to 100), junior, life, and charter categories. Hunting is available on club owned land as well as over 1000 acres of posted private property. Ashokan Reservoir, which is located within one mile of the club, affords opportunities for fishing. Monthly meetings, a game dinner, turkey shoot, and the new 3D course provide the membership with both camaraderie and a variety of activities.